Winter Skincare Swap
Winter is coming… sooner that you think. I know, I know you’re probably thinking, “Didn’t fall literally start a few days ago?”. I can already feel my skin changing as the air gets cooler and if I’ve learnt anything in my years, it’s that I should switch up my beauty routine to suit the weather and my skin as it changes. You may think that this is some elaborate scheme from the beauty industry to squeeze even more money from our pockets, but the truth is, our skin needs all the extra TLC it can get during the cooler months.
Before deciding what products to tune into this winter, let’s start off by making the important differentiation between dehydrated and dry skin. The two are very different and require different treatments. Simply put, dehydrated skin lacks water and dry skin lacks oil. Dehydrated skin tends to look dull and feel tight, while dry skin lacks moisture and can result in roughness, dryness or flakiness. To top it off, your skin can be dehydrated, or dry or both.
Like switching up your wardrobe as the seasons change, it’s equally as important to align your skincare products to suit the climate. Implement a few simple changes, choose the right products, and keep your skin looking and feeling healthy this winter.
Winter Skincare DOS & DON’TS:
- Do: Use an exfoliator two or three times a week to remove dead, dull skin to allow your moisturizer to work more effectively.
- Don’t: Use harsh exfoliators or exfoliate too much. This can lead to inflammation.
- Do: Swap out your regular cleanser with a version that contains moisturizing ingredients.
- Don’t: Skip out on sunscreen just because it’s winter.
- Do: Add serum into your routine. [Note: While sheet masking add a few drops of serum into your mask for an extra moisturizing boost.]
- Don’t: Soak in very hot water. Use warm to lukewarm water.
Favourite Winter Products:
- boscia Exfoliating Peeling Gel acts as a gentle physical and chemical exfoliator (for that squeaky clean skin).
- Tatcha Polished Classic Rice Enzyme is gentle enough to be used daily.
- Laneige Multi Cleanser
- First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser is fragrance-free, good for all skin types, and helps with dryness/redness.
- ORIGINS GinZing Energy- Boosting Moisturizer is formulated with panax ginseng and coffee bean to increase hydration levels.
- First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream for long term hydration for dry, distressed skin (even eczema).
- Neutrogena Hyro Boost
- Tarte Maracuja Oil can replace nighttime moisturizer
- Innisfree Manuka Honey Sheet Mask
- Too Cool For Cchool Egg Cream Mask
- Fresh Crème Ancienne Ultimate Nourishing Honey Mask is packed with honey extract (i.e., antioxidants to nourish and soothe dry or rough skin).